Thirty-six Penal farmers have so far made claims to government after their crops were destroyed in floods this past weekend. Of that number, 23 claims are from registered farmers.
In keeping with established protocol, Agriculture Minister Clarence Rambharat says claims will be processed and those fitting the criteria will be compensated for their losses.
He was responding to an urgent question in the Senate on Tuesday afternoon.”What has happened now is that the unseasonal rain and excessive rain on two occasions have caused the flooding in that area. What has been done [is] immediately, the Ministry’s officers visited, they have taken 36 claims from the farmers so far.”
He estimates some $600,000 will be paid out once processing is completed.
“The area is still underwater so it’s difficult to verify the claims. Once the claims are approved for payment, [government] has allocated $9 million for assistance to farmers who face flooding in this financial year.” he said.