August 29, 2020

Charged With Choking Woman

By Newsroom

Two men have been charged for gender-based violence offences in separate incidents.

Jameel Ishmael Allard, a 29-year-old carpenter, of Stella Street, Curepe, was charged on Tuesday for assault occasioning actual bodily harm and two counts of choking.

He appeared before Magistrate Ali at the Tunapuna Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday 26th August, 2020. He pleaded guilty to the charge of assault occasioning actual bodily harm but was not called upon to plead on the two counts of choking.

The matters were adjourned to October 8th for facts and sentencing regarding the assault charge and disclosure on the two other indictable matters.

He was granted bail in the sum of $50,000 with approval from the Registrar of the Court with the condition that he not have any direct or indirect contact with the victim.

The incident occurred when the victim allegedly went to the home of her boyfriend on Wednesday 26th August.

When she arrived he was having a conversation on his cell phone and she enquired who he was talking to and informed him that she had come for milk for their son.

They began to argue and the victim was allegedly dealt several blows to her face and head which resulted in lacerations to her upper and lower lips. She was also allegedly kicked in her stomach, choked, and bitten on her hand and scalp.

The victim made a report at the St. Joseph Police Station after leaving the residence and later received medical attention at the St Joseph Health Facility.

Investigations were spearheaded by Ag Supt Claire Guy-Alleyne and supervised by Ag Insp Stanley and W/Cpl Edwards of the Gender-based Violence Unit. Charges were laid by WPC Jones.

In a second and unrelated incident, Errol Moore, a retired 65-year-old from Union Village Road, Tobago, was charged with two counts of the breach of a Protection Order. The order was obtained on June 24th and is valid for three years.

He appeared before Magistrate Jo-Anne Connor at the Scarborough Magistrates’ Court and was remanded in custody and sent to the St Ann’s Psychiatric Hospital, Port of Spain, for a 14-day evaluation.

The matter was adjourned to September 7th 2020.

On Friday 21st August, 2020 the victim was at her home with her husband when he allegedly became annoyed and started using obscene language toward her. He also threw water on her head.

The victim left and spent the night at a relative’s home. She returned the following day and once again was allegedly subjected to obscene language by her husband. The victim made a report to the Gender-Based Violence Unit (GBVU) at the Scarborough Police Station on Sunday.